RE: [teacherartexchange] how to present geography and history in art?

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 07:06:56 PDT

Dear Nora,
Last year my 1-4 grade levels visited many different countries of the world
through their art. They all have sketchbooks they keep in their folders. In
the beginning of the year, they make a cover, 8 1/2" x 11". I use a 3 hole
punch on the long side. I put a piece of masking tape on the back of the
cover the length of the page over these holes. Paper fasteners are put
through and fastened. Pages can be added throughout the year. They had a
world map in their sketchbooks. We located where we live and each time we
visited a location we located it on their world map and colored it in. I
also had a large world map in my room that we looked at together. We also
used our sketchebooks for any preparatory sketches and added thosse pages as
we went along.

I also had some "zoom in" maps for them to look at and add to their
sketchbooks. For example, when 3rd grade did molas they had a map of Panama
and the San Blas islands so when we talked about this area they could see it
better.

MJHadley