Re: [teacherartexchange] how to present geography and history in art?

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2006 - 07:41:08 PDT

Hi Nora,
    Here are some suggestions: try to find a globe or even one that is
inflatable (I had one the size of a giant beach ball!) Post a chart of the
world time zones. Ask the students to find a time to call on their cell
phones a museum/artist in another country. Contact the museums (art,
historical, scientific) in your area and get copies of all their literature
(including floor plans)to post in the school or your room. Go and take
pictures of the museum, inside and out. Find out if they have a website with
links to activities for young people. I had a monthly feature of an art
musuem or two. Luckily in Ohio I had lots of choices that lasted throughout
the school year. I took pictures of museums when I was travelling and each
year I had a good collection of slides to show my classes.
    The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC has/had an intereactive board type
of game where the students can create their own museum collection. It may
be available on line by now.
    As to historical studies, ask the students to try out a family
study--what kinds of tools, toys, clothing did their grandparents use. Ask
their parents for an oral history they can tape.
    You will have lots of fun with this, Nora! Looking forward to what
ideas others on the list offer.

                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                    Art teacher, K-5, retired