[teacherartexchange] Large Format Digital Printing

---------

From: Harold Olejarz (holejarz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2006 - 17:12:52 PDT

Hi,

I went to a class today on "Large Format Archival Printing" at the
Visual Arts center of NJ in Summit. The class was taught by Jay
Seldin, http://www.jayseldineditions.com/. The lab was impressive as
was the several large format Epson printers they had on hand. Jay
showed an assortment of his prints on various papers and fabric. Yes,
fabric, there is a polyester fabric that you can print on. Learned
about a product called inkaid, http://inkaid.com/ that lets you print
on almost anything. We also used a Photoshop plugin called SI Pro2,
http://www.fredmiranda.com/ This plugin lets you size up an image for
large format printing. Jay also went over how he uses Photoshop's
Unsharpen Mask filter to sharpen an image for printing. I got to print
2 of my images to a size of 20 inches by 15 inches. At home I have an
Epson 2000P that I usually print images to about 13 inches by 10
inches, though I could print a bit larger. One of the images I printed
during the class was taken with my Canon SD 500, a 7 megapixel camera.
It is good to know that I can get a good quality large format image
from this camera. I didn't get a change to try a printing from my
Konica Minolta Digital SLR Maxxum 7D.

I posted some photos on my blog, http://digitalharold.blogspot.com/

harold

--