Re: [teacherartexchange] effects of NCLB on art education

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 12:40:14 PDT

On Jun 23, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Rick Larson wrote:

> NCLB doesn't realize that nature left some of these kids behind

Nature is not the only reason many of these children start out behind.
Nurture or the lack of it on the part of parents and society as a whole
are major factors. We should start by providing jobs with decent pay
so parents will have a chance to care for their children.
How about a major increase in the minimum wage. How about programs
to teach young mothers how to care for themselves and the child
they are carrying. My old district dropped it's programs for expectant
mothers due to budget cuts so we could test more kids. How about
real quality day care and preschool and healthcare
for every child. Rather than testing every student to their level of
frustration, why not give every child an early boost so they come
to school eager and able to learn.
                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net