Re: [teacherartexchange] effects of NCLB on art education

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 12:05:57 PDT

Catherine, this is difficult to answer in a few words, imo. The changes are
profound, and subtle at the same time. Funding is definately less. There
is more emphasis on reading and math and not the arts. my classroom is so
divirsified and overcrowded, that it is a challenge to meet everyone's
needs. NCLB doesn't realize that nature left some of these kids behind and
although I try to provide meaningful art learning experiences for all
children, I personally do not feel that the quality of education is where it
was before nclb. If you have specific questions, you can ask me off-list.
Fortunately, I am optimistic that inspite of all this, the arts will truly
be recognized for their effectiveness in teaching and learning of all
curricular
areas, and that someday, the powers that be will see that the arts are
really critical to brain/child development. This may not be for years,
though.
-.
Betsy