[teacherartexchange] Final Exam Art 2 - hands on assignment - from Ken Schwab

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 08:46:54 PDT

Dear High School Teachers,

Folks often post asking for exam ideas.... Ken Schwab has shared the
idea he does with his Art 2 students. This is good for double block
exam times. Ken's exam is 85 minutes.

I have added it to the weave drawing lesson - since that lesson
teaches similar skills. Click on the exam link at the top of page:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/kenweave.htm

From Ken Schwab:

For years, I have done an art final that was an activity. This has
become a tradition here at Leigh, and the Art 3,4 levels love to see
what the Art 2's do every year.

I take a picture and divide it up into squares about 1- 1 1/2". I
give them paper, newsprint, 2 pencils (#2 and a 6b) tortillons, Q-tips
paper towels, kneaded erasers and ask them to enlarge the square to
4". They are to use gridding if they must and enlarge the square so
that it will match the other squares around it. They have 85 minutes
to complete this and then they put them up on a paper with the
squares, to see what the image is.

I change it every year so some will be harder and easier. I look for
a picture that will be about the same in each square.
If anyone else has exam ideas they would like to share, let me know
and I will start a page on IAD just for that.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/