[teacherartexchange] art curriculum

---------

From: Julie Jacobusse (JacobusseJulie_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2006 - 08:30:39 PDT

Hey everyone! After my first year teaching in Buttts county Georgia, I
have decided to take a spot at another school that is in Henry county.
I did not feel that teaching in Butts was a good fit for me. The room
was the old media center-believe it or not it was too big, it had no
windows, no sink in the main part of the room, only in a side room-plus
the small town did not fit well with me. Henry is more cosmopolitan and
a much bigger district. Now I am about to begin my 2nd year teaching in
Henry this fall. I want to plan a more organized curriculum. This
year I just pulled out projects from studnet teaching, books, and the
Internet. After going to the GAEA conference they had year theme's like
the ABC's of art, or art around the world. I want to do something that
is organized, but fits with my style as well. I think I want to write
down month to month at least 3 projects for each grade level for each
month so I can order supplies more effectively. But, I also want to
have some flexibility in that as well. I know I may not do all 3
proects in a month with the class but want to have something ready in
case I need it. Believe it or not georgia has no art standards or
curriculum, so I just use the national ones.

The kids at my old school in Butts hated art (They were really into
drama and sports), so I tried to get them interested by having a grade
level artists of the week, and they got a laminated award I made on the
morning news. Actually that I did not mind doing. I also had a monthly
newsletter-that I liked as well. I also gave classes a star each week
for behavior and the grade level class that got the most stars at the
end of 9 weeks got a party. Not sure if I liked doing that-the kids
just took everything I bought for the party for granted and before each
party I had to give them expectations of not asking for more but saying
thank you, and to not get too wild. I am also not sure if this did help
with their behavior or not...towards the end of the school year the 4th
and 5th grade classes got really wild. It was hard to keep them on task
and motivated. I was surprised because when I student taught in
Michigan where I am from- the art teacher did none of the things I just
mentioned and the students were usually always engaged in art. My
mentor teacher at my elementary school in Butts taught 5th grade- she
tried to give me suggestions like having a treat box or giving candy
pretzels for good behavior and I began to go broke buying this stuff for
500 kids each week. I thought there must be a better way. It is hard,
becasue art is so different from a regular classroom.

The 4th grade class this year was awful. I tried everything with them,
positive and negative and nothing seemed to help. I tried some 3-D
projects and others, I found they liked boy stuff that was cool like
bugs, outer space and monsters. They were just a hard class and I know
you get them every now and then. Any ideas for the hard to reach
classes-I know I heard perspective works from Micheal in Kansas. :)

I have been reading some classroom management books and art books. They
say to begin the year by being organized, giving simple projects where
the students feel they are learning and teach procedures and routines
before getting into more intensive projects or group projects. Any
input on how to make this 2nd year more successful for me would be
appreciated. Not that my first year in Butts was that bad. I did have
some very successful project snad felt I made connections with many of
the students. I am just refelcting and want to improve.
Thanks,
Julie