Re: [teacherartexchange] Interview tomorrow

---------

From: Jenny Watlington (pritchard1_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 12:52:44 PDT

I have taught at a good elementary school and I would be surprised if any
around here have a written curriculum to offer to a new art teacher. We
have the state standards but curriculum seems to be more a product of each
teacher.
   Instead of asking them what they expect from an art program, I would
introduce that by saying something like: " I would like to display as much
work as possible and get the local paper to cover our end of year art show.
I would also try and do some collaborative art/writing projects with some
of the writing being done in the classroom."
  that really could be anything you would like to say, I just think it
sounds better to an interviewer when you are proactive (not pushy) and not
asking "what would you like to see?"

  Be prepared for them to ask "what is your weakness?" During my evaluation
today I had an administrator ask me

A: "what would you consider your blind spot"
  I told him I don't know. (I think that is a bizarre question. )
B: "What is your Achilles heel?" I told him I didn't think I had a fatal
flaw but if it was anything, then it was that I lean a bit toward the
technique side of teaching and I would like to bring in more emotional
content. I described a very successful self portrait lesson and told him I
would like for the students to begin connecting to all of their work on a
more emotional level like they did with their self portraits.

Good Luck-
Peter