[teacherartexchange] Penland School of Crafts offering teacher discount

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2006 - 07:16:54 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I received this notice from Bryony A. Smith from Penland School of Crafts.

From Bryony:

I am writing from Penland School of Crafts. We are a national center
for craft education located in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North
Carolina.

This summer, in an effort to fill under-enrolled classes, we are
offering half-price tuition to K-12 teachers!

Our summer catalog is on line at http://www.penland.org.

I am hoping to find students for the upcoming Kente Weaving class, so
we don't have to cancel it. Any help you can give in getting the word
out is much appreciated.

July 9 21:

Luberta Mays--The Art of Kente Weaving
The people of Bonwire, a village in Ashanti, Ghana, use a particular
technique to strip weave the brightly colored and patterned ceremonial
fabric known as Kente cloth. Students will study all aspects of Kente
weaving, including warping, threading the heddles and beaters, and
positioning the warp on a dragstone which holds the threads taut. We
will study historic patterns and use some materials imported from
Ghana. All levels. Code 04tb

Studio artist and educator; apprenticed to Mr. Osei Antobre, master
Kente weaver in Ghana; created a 9 x 27-foot wall of Kente for Bank of
America (NC).

Bryony A. Smith
Registrar
Penland School of Crafts