RE:[teacherartexchange] artist/teacher, etc...

---------

From: Robin Gianis (rgianis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2006 - 07:28:46 PDT

Teaching has been the biggest and the best art education I have had in
terms of my own development as an artist. I believe we are all unique
individuals with different teaching styles and different artistic
directions as artists ourselves and as teachers. Most non-artists have
no idea how broad the term "artist" truly is. To be good at what we do,
we need to take a good look at applying the standards in our classrooms,
and continue to foster the love of art we all have in whatever way works
best for us at any given time in our life.
I am personally a mother of two young children, teach a full load and am
the primary earner in my household. Do I have a lot of time to make my
own art? I do not. I make very little these days since my children, but
I am passionate about art learning, art history, art making and art
seeing. Every day I am developing not just as an art teacher, but also
as an artist. I like to think of my development having a snowball
effect, constantly adding layers to myself to become who I dream of
being. My students are my art as much as my art works are my art. I
have a lot of gratitude for that.
Robin