[teacherartexchange] mosaics

---------

From: Linda White (linda.c.white_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 11:21:56 PDT

Wondering if anyone has some words of advice for me. My elementary school
had an artist in residence create tile mosaics as a legacy project by our
graduating class. The mosaics were put onto a concrete table top and three
concrete benches (seat part. The edges are not smooth and I am afraid that
the individual grouted tile pieces might be picked or just come away from
the surfaces. I actually know little about mosaics. The best I can come up
with is putting concrete in a pastry bag and icing the edges. Does this
sound feasible? I had also thought of putting thick Plexiglas on the tops
of the four pieces, but people who I have suggested this to have said that
mold would probably develop underneath since these pieces will be outside.
I am at a loss for ideas. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.