Re: [teacherartexchange] glass mosaic

---------

lpapanicolaou_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 10:18:57 PDT

I do this all the time. We use photo frames from the resale store with the
cardboard pulled out so the frame glass settles to the back of the frame, glue
the stained glass on the front of the frame glass, and grout. I tell the kids to
use enough of the clear-drying glue that there's a bit of ooze so the grout won't
work its way behind the glass. We grout with black sanded polygrout from
Home Depot. Have lots of latex gloves and paper towels/rags on hand, and
make sure the kids have a full class period to grout because cleaning the front
of the glas takes a lot of time.

Your suspicions are correct, once you grout, the patterns of the glue behind the
stained glass simply make a blah piece of rolled glass look much more chunky
and interesting. My TAB kids loved doing these--some did several panels.

Linda
Oh, but PS--you'll find that the frosted glass doesn't clean easily. I now avoid it.