Re: [teacherartexchange] Graduation ceremony

---------

From: judiej (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 07:04:28 PDT

Same thing here in Atlanta. I think it's a matter of most of the population for the last few decades not being taught the difference between athletic event behavior and other types of events. A few years ago our drama teacher offered an
auditorium ettiquette lecture at one of our assemblies. She explained the difference between quiet respectful behavior at events such as theatrical performances, graduations, etc. Sort of worked for a while, but until enough people speak out and object and the administration seriously addresses the problem, it won't change.

We had a storyteller who came to our school several years ago, whe refused to perform because of the rude loud behavior from students in the auditorium. It was very embarassing. His theory was that since schools started building gymnasiums as the main building for gatherings, instead of auditoriums, somehow our culture has forgotten how to behave in a more civilized setting. I think it will take a lot of planning and work to get the message across. We're a competitive sports culture that has spilled over into other events.

Judie