Re: [teacherartexchange] changes brought about by NCLB

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 06:18:30 PDT

I am now expected to incorporate reading and math strategies into my
curriculum, and I have to save documentation. I do think it has been a good
thing for my classroom, as my administrators look to see how I am
accomplishing reading and math goals in the artroom, and are impressed at
the variety of ways I achieve those goals. We "read" a painting as well as
read text about a painting/artist/culture. We write about our thought
processes about a project after completion. We "twitter" to get the artistic
juices flowing. For math, instead of just drawing a border on our paper I
have them measure out a specific size. We mat our artwork, measuring to get
the correct size. We work in fractions when dividing up our work surface.
And of course, the vocabulary just fits right in - parallel, geometric,
oblique, pattern, rotate, slide, mirror, etc. At first my administration was
impressed because of my "buy-in" to our school improvement plan. It was good
for the children to have the same vocabulary in all classrooms, and it made
my art class richer for including that "extra". After my admin got past the
reading/math strategies they began to have a better appreciation for the art
part as well.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids