[teacherartexchange] Another thought on portfolios

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2006 - 12:52:27 PDT

I am wondering if the request for a portfolio for job interviews is a
request for an electronic portfolio. Many university teacher programs now
require all candidates to collect artifacts throughout their coursework and
post the artifacts to private web addresses. These portfolios are for all
teacher candidates, not just the arts or other special areas.

My students are required to use Taskstream, an electronic portfolio system
that allows semester-by-semester postings that include the work the student
feels is most representative of what they have learned. Because the nature
of our art ed program, my students have artifacts that document studio, art
history, art ed, general ed, and liberal studies. They also post K-12
student work when they teach those ages. During the student teaching
semester, observations by the CT and supervisor are added to the portfolio.

When these students apply for jobs and they are asked for a portfolio, they
provide a URL to the school district or administrator and that's that.

Pam

Pamela G. Stephens, PhD
Art Education Office #314
Northern Arizona University