Re: [teacherartexchange] teacher-artist-hiring-elitism?

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2006 - 12:48:45 PDT

michele, you bring up *really* good points; i wish
naea/universities were thinking this way and
questioning what has been/could be/should be as you
are.

one of the first things you talked about has been
bothering me, too - being seen as a "traitor" to art
ed if you try to help kids learn too many "other"
things. i've caught flak for getting recertified in
reading - here hsers have to pass a standardized test
to graduate. a huge # of our kids don't pass the
test. it breaks my heart for MY articulate,
intelligent, hardworking kids to see themselves as
failures because they can't pass. remedial reading
classes can be horrible - overcrowded, taught by
stressed teachers, with methods that don't work and
the kids hate. i have art-centered activities that
help kids read and write better - - kids love them, i
love to do them, and they WORK! going back and forth
between visual and verbal modes of communication makes
students' art better, as well!

i agree with woody that art teachers need to make art,
examples with students and personal pieces, too. it
is a reasonable goal for us to produce one piece a
year. we need "the system" to support us in
maintaining/ improving our skills by providing TIME
DURING OUR JOB for true professional development, so
art teachers don't have to feel like they are cheating
their families to be artists. my principal is paying
for a week-long studio experience this summer and i
think the world of him for doing it. it should be a
given for ALL art teachers to be able to do this EVERY
year - at least! good teachers need support!

my way more than 2 cents! going off to paint now! tgisummer!

 wendy
www.wendypaigefree.com