Re: [teacherartexchange] Teacher Portfolio

---------

From: Della Buzard (dellasnook_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 05:50:51 PDT

I am not sure where most of you are from but in NY you
need an art teaching portfolio when you graduate from
college. My portfolio has most of what you are all
talking about but we have to use artist portfolio's
that you would find in an art store. In it we start
with our artist statement and then a simple page that
shows some personality of who we are. Then of course
we have example of lessons and student art work and
pics to go with them, I try to keep pieces from
students that are uninterested in keeping them for
themselves and make photo copies of other great
pieces. It is also nice to take a lesson from a unit
and display it and then keep a copy of the whole
lesson in the pocket to show your ability to write a
unit using the standards. The last thing in my
portfolio is my personal artwork, it is important for
a school to see that you are passionate about your own
art as well and to see what skills you may be able to
pass on to your students. I worked hard at keeping a
theme through all of the pages so that it flowed well.
 The key is to get your portfolio open on the table
for all to see and to use it to help answer the
questions that are being asked. Of course this is
just how we are taught mostly in New York, I guess
that it is different in other places. My letters of
recommendation are sent with my application from my
placement folder through the college that I attended
so that I don't have them in my portfolio rather they
are already seen when the application is reviewed.

Della