Re: [teacherartexchange] Teacher Portfolio

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 05:47:50 PDT

On Jun 8, 2006, at 8:34 PM, StacieMich@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks Jayna. I think that eventually I might "get it" with that
> age group,
> but what if I don't? Some of the kids really did like me, thought
> I was funny
> and cool. Some of them came to me for advice, which I took as a good
> sign...but some just wanted to make life miserable for me...and
> probably most of
> their teachers. I know that I need to be firmer without losing
> their trust.

Stacie,
"need to be firmer without losing their trust" this is a fine line.
Most of us got the
same advice, to be very tough at first - then you could always
lighten up a bit later.
I suspect it is sound advice, but I doubt I ever followed it. Each
teacher has to
understand their own personality and style and work within it. To
attempt to
play others roles or styles is difficult and kids are sharp on
knowing a fake when
they see one. I did learn that if the students believe that you know
your stuff they
will respect you and follow your guidance. By stuff, I mean: art
materials,
methods, techniques, history, etc. and know how to explain it to
them. They
get so many unqualified teachers (science, math, reading) trying to
teach
subjects they are thrown into that they really respect an art or
music teacher
who is highly qualified. Here is one aspect of NCLB where I am in
agreement.
I had one well meaning principal who really believed that a good
teacher could
teach any subject. She was very upset when I wrote letters to the
state when
she had me teaching reading. I loved teaching the two hours of
reading, but
I was out of that after two years. I was not qualified to teach it
and it was only
fun because they assigned me the best readers. Those kids read better
than I did. Here is a sample:
http://kancrn.kckps.k12.ks.us/rosedale/MangoStreet.html
The best advice is to find your nitch and learn to be the best you
can be
at whatever that is.
                                                        Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque