Re: [teacherartexchange] Teacher Portfolio

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 17:01:48 PDT

Maggie's advise is very wise.

I interview
and I am most impressed with candidates that "know before hand "and
are prepared to provide samples.

Administrators love organization and they like to to know that you
know ( and can provide evidence of) current methods and procedures.

The best thing you can do in an interview is
"spew" the latest jargon and buzz words. They don't care what you
know about art---- they care about what you know about teaching and
differentiation and assessment and classroom management.
It doesn't matter how good you are as an artist -- how good can
you manage a classroom.

Show student successes and "talk the talk."

a portfolio is very important-- your work and the student work
and
do your best to give examples of the best you do
have plenty of copies of anything
show that you really want the job
>>> Now that I've taught a year, I suppose I'll be expected to have
>>> some sort of portfolio to take to interviews if I get any.

I hate to sound harsh, but that is an attitude that won't get you
very far. Of course you need to present some kind of evidence that
you can teach! My best advice is to research the curriculums of the
districts you are applying for and give evidence that you can fulfill
those curriculum requirements. Teaching positions are so competitive.
Only those most prepared and giving the best responses will get the
jobs.
My experience as an interviewer is that-- know the methods stuff
first!!! and then provide evidence that your art skills will
translate to student success. Have a vision, understand
assessment and be able to "talk the talk ." Be quick with
answers, and don't hesitate.
Bottom line is that administrators don't care about ART they
care that you can give ALL students a meaningful experience in art.
And Yes
a well prepared portfolio of of accomplishments is very important.
Patty