Re: [teacherartexchange] Teacher Portfolio

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2006 - 11:07:12 PDT

Hi, Stacie,

I just got back from an interview for an elementary position. They have
a beautiful art room and a very nice kiln. I was uncertain if I wanted
the job but after the interview I decided I really do want it. I have a
teacher portfolio that principals seem to like. I keep everything in a
nice-looking three-ring binder. Most of the things are in plastic sheet
protectors; pages are placed back-to-back so all pages are viewable
without having to slide things in and out.. I have it organized like
this: Resume-Since a resume was not required at the time of application
for this particular job, I made an extra copy to hand the principal to
keep with my application. The next section is labeled Curriculum--here
I have a curriculum map and sample lesson plans which show my
versatility and knowledge of the standards. The next section is
Assessment--the rubric I use for grading, the rubric I post around the
room for the students (my version of one that Woody wrote), and the
critique form the students fill out after an assignment. I don't give
tests in my studio classes, but I included slides of student work in a
variety of media. I wouldn't take actual artwork in if I were you. The
next section is Certificates and Recommendations (from former admin and
teachers), along with my fingerprint card. Then comes Transcripts, and
the last section is a copy of a presentation I gave at NAEA. Except for
the resume, I don't make copies of anything. If the interviewer would
like copies of anything, they can have it done in the office. Some
interviewers have really read the portfolio items carefully, some flip
through it (just to be polite?), and some don't even look at it. Resist
the urge to talk or explain anything in your portfolio unless someone
asks you a question. Let it speak for itself.

Good luck,

Maggie