[teacherartexchange] creativity in yearbooks

---------

From: Peri Raygor-Yanez (perigraphics_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 11:45:49 PDT

> Hi Marisa,

I had an interesting two years advising the yearbook for a tech high
school.
The AP told me I had $10 in the account first of all. So we had a
great tim\
making money through craft sales. My husband's employer, a printshop and
bindery donated "makeready" books which are blank. The students
decorated
the covers and sold them for about $5 each. Then we had all kinds of
dances,
a talent review and a haunted house all planned and presented by the
yearbook
staff. We still didn't have enough money to have Josten's print 100,
so we
bought leatherette from an artisan we saw on Carol Duvall, printed the
book on vellum from a high speed copier, embossed the covers with a
knights'
head image drawn by a student then I made it into a mold with the
lettering
for the cover. We set up an assembly line with students heating the
leatherette,
pressing the mold into it, then antique staining the covers with shoe
polish.
In the meantime, my husband donated his time to run the pages through
a perfect binder. The editor and assistant editor pressed strips of
leatherette into
the glue for the spine and applied the front and back covers with
double sided tape.

We had quite a social club within the yearbook staff, so I made the
chattiest
the "Social editor". I never had a problem with her after that. We
included
national and local headlines by including photos from FEMA of the 911
attacks and shooting the newspaper front page when the Diamondbacks
beat the Yankees! We only made 110 books, because even the teachers
wouldn't support us by buying copies in advance. But we made $4000 in
profits for the next year and sold out every copy. The principal
came to
me with a book and showed me how the cover started to peel off! I
told him
it was because we didn't let the books sit long enough before selling
them.
He apologized. What a year. The next year was my last doing that.
But I got
some good reviews from journalists!

Try http://www.poynter.org/ They were my best friends. You can
find lessons
and inspiration as well as design/graphics discussion. Also try out the
Josten's, Taylors, and other yearbook publisher's websites for
examples and
email updates. Sometimes they will send samples if they think you might
go into it in the future. Also another tip, collect all of the Life
magazine issues
that you can for examples of images, writing, and organization of
photo essays.

Have fun, always!
Peri