Re: [teacherartexchange] Thoughts on retirement, please!

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 14:13:48 PDT

Irene,

What free time ? Most of us can't figure out when we had time to work.
But the truth is, you must have something to do in retirement and of
course you need a comfortable amount of income. I know that some
say 70% of what you made before is about right, but don't forget that
you will have a lot more time to spend money now. Of course we lost
several thousand in the market yesterday, but it's only money.

As for me, we moved to a different state and bought a new home for
retirement. I volunteer as a docent at the art and history museum. I'm
active in the state watercolor society. I take painting workshops and
actually am painting more and exhibiting my work. I still present a
few art
teacher workshops each year. We landscaped the back yard and planted
roses and cactus, etc. etc. Oops, did I mention the grandkids, they will
be here from Kansas in a few hours. We plan to take them to Mesa Verde.

                When was there ever time to work, Woody

On Jun 6, 2006, at 11:51 AM, InertiaKat@aol.com wrote:

> Hello, all--
>
> The 2006-07 school year will be my 30th--and probably last--year of
> teaching
> art at the middle school level. I must say, however, that I am
> really SCARED
> to retire! I would like to hear from those of you who did retire
> after thirty
> years--any regrets? Sorry you didn't do it sooner? Any advice?
> What did
> you do when the end of August rolled around and another year
> started and you
> were not part of it?
>
> I am really feeling conflicted about this retirement issue,
> especially when
> people ask me what I am going to DO with all of my "free" time. Is
> there life
> beyond teaching?
>
> Looking forward to thoughts and insights from all of you.
>
> Irene

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons