Re: [teacherartexchange] Thoughts on retirement, please!

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 11:49:40 PDT

Hi Irene,
    Wow, is there life after retirement?!!! Most certainly, and you will
have no trouble filling your hours and days with worthwhile and creative
projects. I retired in June, 2002 after 35 years of teaching K-5 and 6. No
regrets to retire. I do miss the children and staff very much, but I am a
volunteer reader at Head Start one 30 min session per week, which gives me
guaranteed hugs and opportunities to keep current with children's picture
books. My other volunteer jobs include the Fine Arts Library and Medical
Heritage Center at OSU. And since I turned 60 spunky years old two years
ago, I have been taking courses in printmaking and French through Program 60
at OSU --think no tuition, no grades/credit, just pure fun to explore
everything and anything the university has to offer. This year it's been
lithography, which really keeps me busy and out of trouble.
    Advice: start listing the things/activities that are really meaningful
to you. You will have to make choices of your time still! Try not to
overextend yourself and fill up your days every hour with
appointments/committments of time. Retirement gives you the luxury to seize
the serrendipity moments and relish the weekends sans Saturday laundry and
Sunday lesson plans, etc etc etc, because you can do those serrendipity
things M-F, and in broad daylight, or the wee hours of the night,too. (It
took me a few months to get over the fear that the truant officer would get
after me being away from school during school hours.) :-) Get out and take
daily walks, exercise body, brain and soul, plan trips to interesting places
near and far. Stay on this list and be a friend and mentor to all the new
teachers who need us for moral support. Being retired doesn't mean that our
lives as educators and artists come to a screeching halt. Find your niche
and have a great time! You'll wonder how you got anything done when you were
teaching. Please write back with any more questions. I am sure you will
hear from Woody and others, too. Don't retire unless you have something
better to retire TO.

                            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                            Ann Irene Heineman
                            Art teacher, K-5, retired