Re:[teacherartexchange] Visual Culture and TAB/Propel

---------

From: Mark Anderson (azorch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 06:12:50 PDT

> Hello...I need to get some good articles on Visual
> Culture and TAB/Propel philosophies of Art Ed to
> discuss in my grad class. I am aware of DBAE and
> Aesthetic Education, but I don't know anything about
> the other two. thanks for any help...lee ann walden

Here is a good starting point for a review of Visual
Culture and Post-Modernism readings:

"Theory in Contemporary Art since 1985," is a
compilation of articles edited by Zoyz Kocur and Simon
Leung. Be sure, especially, to read the article
"Postmodernism and Periphery" by Nelly Richard and
"Repossessing Popular Culture" by Laura Kipnis.

"The Uses of Images: Studies in the Social Function of
Art and Visual Communication" by E.H. Gombrich doesn't
really deal with current thinking about Visual Culture
but it does provide a context for the kind of thinking
that led up to it.

I haven't found a whole lot of use with it so far, but
there is a "Journal of Visual Culture" that you might
stumble across also. And there is also "Invisible
Culture: An Electronic Journal for Visual Culture"
which I recall bookmarking on the web some time back.

Good luck..this is a bit of a slippery subject to get
one's arms around!

Mark

Mark Alan Anderson
Art Educator