[teacherartexchange] Interesting Copyright Case - Dale Chihuly vs Bryan Rubino - let the kids decide

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2006 - 07:59:45 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Here is a real copyright case to talk about... In New York Times
(subscribe to read full text and get images).

Glass Artists Face Off in Court
By TIMOTHY EGAN
Dale Chihuly, a glass artist, has accused two glass blowers of
imitating his creations inspired by the sea.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/01/us/01glass.html?th&emc=th

Here are some links to Rubino

(use caution if you have students access this page - some language
that is linked to this page may not be suitable for kiddies):
http://www.chihulyscrewedme.com/BryanRubinoistheRealArtist.html
http://www.chihulyscrewedme.com/THEBATTLEINSEATTLE.html (inappropriate
language for students.

I only see more traditional forms on this site:
http://rubinoglass.com/default.htm

more articles on the case:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002686721_chihuly16m.html
http://seattle.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2005/11/14/story2.html
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/northwest/story/5753373p-5146483c.html

It looks like Chihuly was successful in getting all of Rubino's
Chihuly look a-likes off the web as I couldn't find any that relate to
the suit. I guess the question should be can Chihuly copyright
abstractions of nature? Is Chihuly stretching too far?
Maybe Chihuly should just move on and create something new too
difficult to copy?
Note: Chihuly himself has not blown the glass for 27 years - hired
craftsmen create the work - Rubino once worked for Chihuly.

Regards,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/