[teacherartexchange] Sequential Art

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 23:43:17 PDT

Has anyone tried any lessons in sequential art?
Here's a webpage on the topic:

http://www.comic-art.com/history/history0.htm

I did a lesson for middle school that the students
seemed to enjoy. I started out by showing some
examples of famous comic strips (Garfield, Peanuts,
etc.) that I downloaded from the internet and printed
onto overhead transparencies.

We discussed the various elements of the strip like
captions, characters, setting, panels, word balloons,
thought balloons, etc. We also talked about how the
panels advance a joke with the punchline generally
coming in the last panel.

I then had them each think of a joke and execute it in
a multipanel strip (generally three or four panels).
They had create their own characters and an
appropriate background setting for the characters.
After they drew it out they then went back over it in
ink and colored it.

I thought it was an interesting introduction to
sequential art for them. A larger project could have
them excute a story, but I was just filling in so I
wanted something they could complete in one class
period.