Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Caribbean Art

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 22:36:39 PDT

Hi Breanne,

I did "research" for many list members two years ago for Caribbean
art. Unfortunately many of those sites are no longer online.
I have a fondness for Haitian Art (the site with history of
Haiti/Haitian art has changed though - background info is no longer on
their site).

Here is a commercial site that is good:

My favorite artist to use with the animals in art theme was Joel
Gauthier (Haiti)

There is more of his work on this site:

I have more links to Haitian art on my site.
The Crizmac video on Haiti is very good. I used it with 6th grade. I
think it would be suitable to upper elementary. Crizmac also has
Caribbean music.

Brief History of Haiti:

You won't find much on the indigenous cultures as most of them were
wiped out. I had some resources on the Taino a while ago.

Many of the links I found for Caribbean masks are no longer online.
Ones that were still active, I linked to my page on Masks:

Here is a lesson plan you can adapt:

I have a book on contemporary Caribbean Art that is quite good. I
think I got is from the Smithsonian.

Here is a book you might be able to track down:
Caribbean Art, by Veerle Poupeye.
"In this much-needed in-depth study of the Caribbean's rich art
history, Belgium-born, Jamaica-based art historian and teacher Veerle
Poupeye presents a thoroughly researched, effective and compact view
of interwoven indigenous, African, European and Asian influences that
fuel the region's vibrant artistic output."
Get one used for a little as $5.40

More books to fiind:
Take a list to you library - they may be able to get them on
inter-library loan for you.

Some Art History....(mainly Central America)

Some Caribbean History:

History of Carnival:

Lesson Plan (Yale Institute):

Breanne, I would love to have your lessons inspired by Caribbean art
on Incredible Art Department. You could do something with foil tooling
(inspired by the steel drum art)....some kind of mask.... and

I posted a site quite some time ago that had architecture facades -
ceramic relief to show the colorful architecture.

On 7/1/05, <> wrote:
> Hi all-
> Just a quick question... Has anyone ever researched Caribbean art online? I
> am looking for some good sites with local history and information about
> indigenous artists, etc. I have done some research already - but many sites
> lead to local artists (with fantastic work!). I know how layered and varied
> the Caribbean cultures are...created by people from all over the world - but
> I figured I'd ask you all - in case anyone has more insight, or has done
> research in the past. I know we have a list member from one of the gorgeous
> U.S. Virgin Islands... Any thoughts would be appreciated!
> :) Breanne
> K-5 * Long Island---
> To unsubscribe go to

Incredible Art Department