Re: [teacherartexchange] Caribbean Art

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 22:36:39 PDT

Hi Breanne,

I did "research" for many list members two years ago for Caribbean
art. Unfortunately many of those sites are no longer online.
I have a fondness for Haitian Art (the site with history of
Haiti/Haitian art has changed though - background info is no longer on
their site).

Here is a commercial site that is good:
http://www.galleryofwestindianart.com/

My favorite artist to use with the animals in art theme was Joel
Gauthier (Haiti)

There is more of his work on this site:
http://www.haitianart.com/

I have more links to Haitian art on my site.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/diversit.htm#Haiti
The Crizmac video on Haiti is very good. I used it with 6th grade. I
think it would be suitable to upper elementary. Crizmac also has
Caribbean music.

Brief History of Haiti:
http://www.medalia.net/Hhistory.html

You won't find much on the indigenous cultures as most of them were
wiped out. I had some resources on the Taino a while ago.

Many of the links I found for Caribbean masks are no longer online.
Ones that were still active, I linked to my page on Masks:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Masks.htm

Here is a lesson plan you can adapt:
http://www.barton.edu/SchoolofArts&Sciences/Art/galtalk/gordon/Lessonpl.html

I have a book on contemporary Caribbean Art that is quite good. I
think I got is from the Smithsonian.

Here is a book you might be able to track down:
Caribbean Art, by Veerle Poupeye.
"In this much-needed in-depth study of the Caribbean's rich art
history, Belgium-born, Jamaica-based art historian and teacher Veerle
Poupeye presents a thoroughly researched, effective and compact view
of interwoven indigenous, African, European and Asian influences that
fuel the region's vibrant artistic output."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0500203067/ref=pd_sxp_f/103-1890408-6867061
Get one used for a little as $5.40

More books to fiind:
http://www.caribbeaninspired.com/caribbean/books/art-architecture.htm
Take a list to you library - they may be able to get them on
inter-library loan for you.

Some Art History....(mainly Central America)
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ht/06/cac/ht06cac.htm
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ht/07/cac/ht07cac.htm

Some Caribbean History:
http://www.arthistoryclub.com/art_history/Caribbean

History of Carnival:
http://www.allahwe.org/History.html

Lesson Plan (Yale Institute):
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/2004/3/04.03.06.x.html

Breanne, I would love to have your lessons inspired by Caribbean art
on Incredible Art Department. You could do something with foil tooling
(inspired by the steel drum art)....some kind of mask.... and
paintings.

I posted a site quite some time ago that had architecture facades -
ceramic relief to show the colorful architecture.

Judy

--
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/