Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 19:33:01 PDT

Interesting twist - I may try this this year. I know one of my favorite
seasonal lessons is one I do with 3rd grade - a fall type collage. The
students cut out realistically shaped pumpkins, apples, pears, grapes, and
leaves out of colored paper. We use oil pastels in complementary colors to
learn basic shadowing. After we complete this lesson I rarely see black
shadows drawn on their personal drawings. It would be interesting to have
the students reflect on why pumpkins are symbols for two fall holidays -
scary for one, nourishment for the other. And are pumpkins used in any other
culture's traditions? Great idea! :-)
~Michal