Re: [teacherartexchange] Student Art Exhibits

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 19:26:16 PDT

Wow - loaded question! This is a personal matter that several art teachers
have expressed very strong opinions on in the past! *L* I personally keep
portfolios for each student - an 18x24" tagboard, folded in 1/2. All artwork
stays in the portfolio until the last week of school, when students take
their portfolios home. I have students who now have 11 years worth of
artwork stored at home. Every year I have students tell me how many
portfolios they have, and my personal philosophy is that by my giving them a
"portfolio" to store their artwork in so it doesn't get damaged, and by
having them take them home all neat and tidy tells them that I value their
artwork. It is always an exciting time for kids when I tell them their
portfolios are going home on such-and-such day. I like having a way to go
back and look at student art, especially if something unusual comes up (I
had a girl this year that had small motor problems, yet was really good at
covering up her shortcomings because she was very smart. I was the one who
was able to document the problems and we were able to get her the help she
needed).

I know other teachers have their own system. Documenting everything
digitally is one way, others like sending home artwork as it is completed.
You'll have to figure out what works for you. :-)
~Michal