Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 19:20:51 PDT

I don't know if I would be comfortable bringing live
animals into a classroom full of young children.
There's always a risk of something going wrong like
someone being allergic or getting bit and then parents
and administrators would be all over me.

Easter rabbits are not really related to the Christian
Easter holiday. Christians placed Easter, their first
major religious celebration, at the time of the Pagan
spring celebrations that were abotu fertility and
rebirth after winter. The egg and the rabbit (known
for multiplying) are symbols of fertility. Christians
believed that by having their celebration of Christ's
resurrection at the same time as the Pagan celebration
they could convert more people to their religion. It
basically worked, but now people wonder what eggs and
bunnies have to do with Jesus.

The Christians later applied the same approach to the
Pagan winter holidays when they decided it was time to
start celebrating the birth of Christ. The church
didn't celebrate the birth of Christ for centuries
because they felt the resurrection was the major
aspect of the religion so they focused on Easter as
the big holiday. By celebrating the birth of Christ
during the winter Pagan celebrations they were able to
convert more people to Christianity. Today
traditional Christmas celebrations style contain
certain Pagan elements like Christmas trees (although
Pagans never took trees indoors), mistletoe, yule
logs, etc.