Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 19:18:43 PDT

You're right - it would be interesting. But what are you going to do if
nobody has an idea? How are you going to lead in to this? Showing them
examples of Dr.Seuss's work, discussing the creatures, before actually
telling them what they are going to do, might help loosen them up. When I do
my creature lesson, the first one or two are usually pretty weak, but once
the students start relaxing and know that there is no "wrong" answer then
they loosen up and their creatures become interesting. I would definately
plan some kind of lead-in activity - I know that for me, there is nothing
that stifles my creativity more than being expected to be creative on the
spot.

Maybe your students could make up their own names for their creatures, and
create a silly rhyme that goes with their creature - more "in the style of".
Just a thought... :-)
~Michal