Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 18:47:15 PDT

Interesting discussion on creativity.

What about looking at seasonal or holiday objects as artifacts of culture. I do
know that in the past, art educators have usually thought of holiday art as
trivial and trite, without much merit. However, in more recent times, some
have advocated looking at holidays as examples of tradition, celebration, which
have an important place in the lives of children. Laura Chapman in her book
Approaches to Art in Education advocated looking at holidays, traditions and
celebrations as a way to look at art and culture. Maybe we have been
overlooking an important opportunity to understand our own culture and the
culture of others. Taking a value pluralistic stance, might be appropriate
when looking at cultural artifacts. The entire discussion really centers
around what the purpose of an education in art is. It seems there are
differing assumptions about what that is or what that entails. It is
fascinating to watch the changes unfold over time.

Diane

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate