Re: [teacherartexchange] Student Art Exhibits

---------

From: M.Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 18:09:12 PDT

This is for my grade school shows:

> 1.) How often do you have student art exhibits? Once
> a semester? Once a year?

Mine are once per year, and it is a BIG event.

> 2.) Where in the school do you have the exhibit? The
> hallways? The cafeteria?

I have it in the commons prior to the music concert.

> 4.) How do you mat the work? How do you hang the work
> on the wall? Is there a place where you can purchase
> large quantities of 18x24 construction paper in black
> or gray to use for matting?

I use 12x18" colored construction paper in coordinating colors to the
artwork. Students create their art on 11x17" paper, so there is a 1/2"
border around the art.

> 5.) Do the students name the art pieces or do you come
> up with the titles?

I don't have them title their artworks, due to the sheer number of artworks
displayed (each student exhibits a minimum of 3 artworks). When we exhibit
at the museum (20 artworks selected by me per school) the students name
their art. This is a big honor for them to be selected.

> 6.) Do you have a reception for the art show?

No.

> 7.) How is the work selected for the art show?

I have students choose. This allows me to see which artworks they value,
which is usually either the artwork that was completed the way the student
envisioned, OR the one they enjoyed creating the most.

> 8.) Is there a set number of pieces each student is
> required or allowed to have an exhibit?

Again, yes. 3 per student. Their parents make the effort to come to the show
and view the art, and they enjoy seeing multiple artworks. It also seems to
promote more discussion between students and parents.

> 9.)Do you have the works judged and select pieces
> awarded with ribbons or certificates, or it strictly
> an exhibition?

My art show is for all students, and I don't have them judged. My students
are all proud of their work, and at the elementary level I feel this may
diminish their pride if they don't win an award.

> 10.) How long does it take you to prepare for the show
> and get everything set up? What sort of help do you
> receive to get this done? Are the students involved
> in hanging the show?

Hours, and hours, and hours. I have a student aide that mats artwork and
labels them. I have display boards that I hang art on whenever I find a free
minute.

At the middle school and high school level, students are required to display
their 2 best pieces, but may hang more if they desire. They mat their own
artwork, and hang their own show. This art show is Fine Arts Night, where
the forensics kids do their pieces, soloists perform for vocal and band, and
I have the Industrial Arts bring in their drafting works, wood working
pieces, and metals.

~Michal