[teacherartexchange] Creativty In Art Assignments

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 17:20:31 PDT

I'm considering developing a lesson that would tie
into the Read Across America event that is held
annually on the birthday of Dr. Seuss.

What I'm thinking of doing it reading a children's
book to the class and then assigning each student the
text from one page. The student would then illustrate
that page without being able to reference how the page
was rendered in the book.

When everyone has completed their page they can be
displayed in the hallway with the appropriate text
from the book under or on each piece of art. The end
result would be viewers could walk down the hall be
able to read an entire children's book as interpreted
and recreated by the children.

This lesson would also teach them about the career of
book illustrating. I just would absoultely NOT allow
them to view the illustrations in the book because
they would be tempted to try to duplicate that.

I'm still thinking this one out so I would welcome any
suggestions or comments.