Re: [teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: david gran (dsgran_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 13:46:25 PDT

That lesson seems doubly flawed to me - aside from the
whole 'assembly line art' that you mention, there's
also the whole issue of using the art classroom to
make holiday art which can be both trivializing to
artmaking in general, and marginalizing to students
who aren't christian. When I was in elementary
school, I remember having to make 'paper bag santas',
another assembly-line-holiday project. Doing that
project made me feel really awkward and uncomfortable,
and I was too shy to tell the teacher that I was
Jewish.

--- Darren High <darren_high@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "In defense of the rabbit lesson.... If the
> objective
> is for students
> to draw a rabbit from life - from the rabbit that
> was
> brought into the
> classroom - then the results will all be a rabbit.
> Or
> if the objective
> was to draw a fish from life - the students will all
> draw the fish.
> Before you are too critical of lessons you find
> online, you might want
> to consider what the objective may have been?"
>
> The lesson I mentioned about rabbits was something I
> observed in an actual classroom. It was designed to
> tie into Easter and had all the students making
> rabbit
> faces out of paper plates and pre-cut construction
> paper. Naturally all of the projects looked
> virtually
> identical. The classroom was more like a third
> world
> sweatshop for holiday decorations than an actual
> public school art classroom which is was suppossed
> be.
>
> I think the teacher could done an Easter themed
> assignment involving cutting and pasting and still
> allow the students some creativity.
>
> Of course, all of the assignments from this teacher
> was along the same lines. All the projects were
> linked to holidays and they all generally looked the
> same whether they were creating Easter bunnies,
> shamrocks, snowmen, hearts, or whatever. The only
> skills she seemed to teach was cutting, pasting, and
> coloring (including a lot of coloring of preprinted
> images).
>
> The art classes were K-4, but that's still no reason
> for such restrictive lessons.

http://carrotrevolution.blogspot.com/

The day is coming when an ordinary carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

-Paul Cezanne