[teacherartexchange] Examples of Curriculum Maps

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 07:14:05 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

This was posted in the Riverdeep Newsletter. Some of you may be
working on Curriculum Mapping this summer.

SAMPLE CURRICULUM MAPS:
http://www.education.ky.gov/KDE/Instructional+Resources/Curriculum+Documents+and+Resources/Teaching+Tools/Curriculum+Maps/default.htm

OR
http://tinyurl.com/442uw

If your school district is considering adopting curriculum
maps to ensure coverage of standards and content throughout
the school year, find a wide variety of sample curriculum
maps here to consider, across all subjects and grade levels.

My advice on curriculum mapping is not to make it too restrictive. One
year, some of the staff members at my school wanted to map out what
artists/cultures/time periods were to be taught at what grade level
and I was dead set against that as I had spent thousands of dollars on
my own teaching materials. I wanted the freedom to teach what I
wanted. I felt it was a good thing to revisit artists they had at one
grade level and do something different with them when they arrived to
middle school (same for high school - high school students would do
something more advanced than middle school- and get more in depth
study). What I didn't like however, is when one of the elementary
teachers grabbed one of my lesson ideas (using same media) and stepped
it down to elementary as I could not longer do that lesson with middle
school (I'd get that "we already did that" from students). There are
so many ways to teach about an artist or culture without doing the
same project idea. I meshed the artists and cultures I did with the
middle school core curriculum for the most part - and tossed in modern
artists for which I had purchased visual resources.

I liked our county curriculum guide as it did not specify what
cultures/artists to teach when - nor does our state curriculum guide.

Some day, I will check all of the links I have for curriculum and get
a page added to IAD.

If you really look at the National Standards, you will see that the
lessons should not be restrictive as students should be comparing
approaches and ideas across cultures and time (that might be standard
5?). For example, when I taught cave art, I also brought in Alexander
Calder (wire cow) and a cow by Dubuffet - as well as other animals in
art. Lesson on Rousseau - was more about Haitian art - and also tied
in Hicks and other folk artists.

Happy Planning,

Judy Decker

--