[teacherartexchange] Creativity In Art Assignments

---------

From: Darren High (darren_high_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 00:17:54 PDT

I'm wondering how specific some of you structure your
art assignments. I've noticed that some art teachers
have such specific instructions for the subject matter
and how it is represented that most of the work from
the classes end up looking identical. How do you
balance your lessons so the students learn what they
need to learn, but are still allowed some creative
freedom?

For example, is it really necessary that all the
students create a picture of a rabbit if the lesson is
just dealing with the creation scratch art? Couldn't
they all choose their own animal? Do they even need
to be limited to creating an image of an animal? How
much structure and how much freedom should you give
them with assignments?