Re: [teacherartexchange] Thanks--Online class for Art Ed recertification

---------

From: Carol ONeil (o8neil_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 14:26:36 PDT

Sharon, Glad you found a solution, I was smiling with you I failed to notice the VA requirement also and was scrambling to take a class. Fortunately my friend Mary Jane is teaching a paper making class in stafford thru vcu so i am able to get my credits in...next time i will pay more attention. good luck-carol

"sharon@art-rageous.net" <sharon@art-rageous.net> wrote:Thanks, Maggie and Judy! I have enough credits from other stuff (workshops and curriculum writing for our school's self-study and reaccreditation) to cover most of the recertification points, but in Virginia (if you don't have your masters) you're required to take a 3-credit class every 5 years. I had one in mind but there was some question on my part re: whether or not it would be considered within my content area, due to it being a humanities course rather than specificially art or art ed. Calls to the VA Dept of Education were somewhat less than helpful (understatement). I knew I could take a technology class, but I was more interested in taking something within content area.

After half a dozen more phone calls, I finally found someone who was willing to state that, yes, the class could be considered within my content area. I'm actually kind of looking forward to taking it. It's offered through BYU and it's called Arts in Western Culture, and if I'm reading the info correctly, it's kind of an overview of how artists, writers and musicians have responded to the major events of the 19th and 20th centuries. Since I usually introduce units (that lead to student art production) with background info about the context within which certain works of art were created, I thought this class would be a pretty good fit.

I still need to talk with my "advisor" at school to verify a few more pieces of this, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the suggestions thus far. I've always joked that I could be a "professional student" if time and money allowed. :-)

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net