Re:[teacherartexchange] best state to work in if an art educator?

---------

From: Eric and Kris Holsen (holsenek_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 11:09:30 PDT

I vote for any state with a strong charter school system.

My time at a charter school has been the hardest I've ever worked, but
the most rewarding. It is the only district in which I actually had a
real say in how things were run and decided. Because our school is
arts focused, my program is safe - and of course a focus. But other
disciplines are valued as well and we all work together. Art is our
'hook,' and of course we do lots of art classes.

My classes average 15 kids, I get paid a decent, average salary, and
the school is free and public. (Total about 130 kids in 9-12)

I know some teachers and districts don't like charter schools - but I
am a convert and I don't know if I could ever go back. If a district's
students are heading to a charter school - maybe the teachers should
follow? It's a good life.

Happy summer! We're spending ours moving to a newer building.

--Kris
Rochester, MN

"You must become the change you wish to see in the world" --Gandhi