[teacherartexchange] clarification

---------

From: Diane C. Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 07:57:34 PDT

Hi Diane and all,

I would be glad to clarify my statement. :-)

When anyone begins to make a work of art one of the things they can do to feel
satisfied with their final results is to focus on creating using current
skills, strengths and intelligences. They can also train their hearts, minds
and souls to take advantage of happy accidents and recognize when and how to
make modifications as the work develops.

The teacher and student in tandem can identify these skill sets and finalize a
work of art that uniquely takes advantage of these strengths while pushing the
student and the teacher to new heights. It is a highly cognitive
problem-solving and higher order thinking ability that is required. This
applies to all levels K to the end of life. The process and the production of
art creation requires a dialogue about the idea of creation and one's ability
to execute the idea. A resolution between the idea and ones ability to express
this idea is required. When these two forces come together the work is complete
and satisfying to its maker. This is what I call cohesion--the highest level of
art production and creation. This is the highest level of creation as
identified by Viktor Lowenfeld many years ago and my own interpretation/idea of
my own work with students.

I hope this helps to clarify my thoughts.

What do you think?

--
Dr. Diane C. Gregory
Director, Undergraduate & Graduate