Re: [teacherartexchange] Graphic Design Text

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 17:21:59 PDT

Dear New Graphic Design Teachers,

Most textbook companies will give you an examination copy for review.
Usually, they request you send them communication in writing on school
letterhead.

I just did a Google search and came up with this textbook:
Graphic Design Concepts
http://wppublishing.com/graphicstext.html
You can get an examination copy.

Here is one you might order yourself just for your own reference:
Graphic Design Solutions by Robin Landa
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D0827363524/robinlandaA/103-1890408-6867061
Get a used one for as little as $6.72
More on this book:
http://www.pointinfinity.com/GDS/

Here is a "trusted" source - Davis Art Publications:
Foundations of Graphic Design:
http://www.davis-art.com/textbooks/studio/fgd/index.asp
I know that Davis will give you an examination copy - contact them to be sure.

Exploring Visual Design looks good to - but that covers all design -
not just print/graphic.

This looks like a good book to buy yourself for refernce:
Teaching Graphic Design: Course Offerings and Class Projects from the
Leading Graduate and Undergraduate Programs
by Steven Heller (Editor)

Heller is a respected name in the design world.
I bet a lot of the lesson ideas can be stepped down to high school.

Here is another that I saw listed on several sites:
The Elements of Graphic Design by Alexander W. White

I found a lot of Graphic Design books... If you intend to do a lot on
computer - look for the most recent publication dates. I was curious
and did a search for recommended texts on TeacherArtExchange and the
only posts I found were from 96 and 97.

Hope this helps,

Judy Decker