Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] meaning as overemphasized...technique held in contempt

---------

TwoDucks_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 16:52:39 PDT

In a message dated 6/27/05 5:44:44 PM, dianegregory@grandecom.net writes:

> Great discussion topic about meaning and skill.

I agree, Diane. And so many of the reminiscing about college days brought
back my own experiences 1965-1969: no technical instruction and terrible
belittling of those interested in teaching along with art making. One interesting
note: Please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that college
instructors/professors have to have any sort of training in how to teach...hmmm.
something to ponder.

I do not think that meaning and instruction in technique need to be in an
either/or situation. Of course I work with small children, but the way I see
it, the meaning and subject matter are the responsibility of the
student/artists; the technical and historical aspects are the responsibility of the teacher!
 And we all work together at art making. Am I too naive?
regards to all the thoughtful posters on this site. I love to read.
kathy douglas