[teacherartexchange] sculpey switchplate, craft, etc.

---------

From: wendy free (wendypaigefree_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 27 2005 - 13:04:31 PDT

did this as a girls' night project and had a blast.
wish i'd taken pictures of all but here's mine w/ a
botanical theme. think it has potential as a project,
lots of possibilities...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wendypaigefree/my_photos
"craft project"

was amazed by the ones here:
http://www.switchhits.com/

this week we are painting denim - also thinking how to
convert to student project. inspiration:
http://www.solchicks.com/painted-jeans/index.asp

was thinking about the discussion larry initiated
regarding technique and content (i know that's
tremendously summarized!) and how those ideas relate
to craft and judy's and others' posts on quiltmaking,
bookmaking... craft/functional art has the requirement
of the final product WORKING. since the end piece has
to DO something, a fair amount of planning and thought
about purpose and outcome is required. i want to try
to integrate more functional art into our curriculum
this fall; am very influenced by Dissanayake (brief
intro: http://www.arts.ouc.bc.ca/fiar/whatsart.html)
and am hoping students will see art that they can
literally use as more relevant, interesting,
engaging...

:D wendy free