[teacherartexchange] Renaissance Art - Carving and Drawing lesson idea (Elementary)

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 14:02:10 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I have been updating links on my site. I just added Liz Menichino's -
Wellsville Elementary School site (I had missed adding it last
summer). She does a neat lesson where the students learn about
Michelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci.

Students make a plaster relief carving as they study Michelangelo
(they also do the drawing/painting laying under the table idea for
Sistine Chapel). As they study Leonardo, they do a charcoal drawing of
their sculpure - studying the soft value changes (sort of "sfumato"
shading - along with some sharp contrasts of shadows).

Go to her site and browse the third grade art. The plaster is cast
into styrofoam trays and I imagine kept soft for the carving stages.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/4kids-4teach.htm
Her URL is very long - so just scroll down on my page.

As I see good art history lessons, I will post them to the lists as I
know Sandy J. is looking for them.

Liz, If you are still on ArtsEducators, I'd like to have a write-up
for this lesson.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--