[teacherartexchange] Appalachian Folk Art - any lesson?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 12:56:21 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I found these links over a year ago for Appalachian Folk Art. Has
anyone done a lesson on Appalachian Folk Art that you would like to
share? All of these links are still current. The links for story
telling were broken - but sites should be easy to find.

http://www.ashevillelist.com/NC/appalachian_crafts.htm

"North Carolina Mountain folk developed a strong craft tradition based on
need. The isolation of the mountains demanded self-efficiency. Mountain
people spun thread from sheep they sheared and weaved it into cloth. They
made their own furniture and baskets.

Appalachian crafts include cane chairs, rocking chairs, corn shuck chairs
and dolls, brooms and hand carved wood sculptures. Furniture was spindle
carved with floral or wheat patterns carved into it.

Craft designs were influenced by both the Cherokee and the British. Most of
the people who settled Western North Carolina were of Scotts Irish decent,
immigrating either from New England or directly from Britain."

Lots of good links to follow: http://ashevillelist.com/Folk_Art_Center.htm

Southern Highland Craft Guild - contemporary crafts:
http://www.southernhighlandguild.org/ You can do a search for contemporary
crafts people

Appalachian Culture Museum:
http://www.museum.appstate.edu/exhibits/exhibits.shtml
I think this was the site that had a very interestedng family groupiing -
painted wood (brought Marisol to mind).
Quilters:
http://www.museum.appstate.edu/specialexhibits/commonthreadquilters/pages/picindex1.shtml
Not Folk Art per se - but some interesting work by Noyes Capehart Long:
http://www.museum.appstate.edu/specialexhibits/noyes_long/pages/noyes_text.shtml
Beautiful contemporary textiles:
http://www.museum.appstate.edu/specialexhibits/fiber_summer_2001/introduction.shtml

Check out Kentucky Folks Art Center, too:
http://www.morehead-st.edu/units/folkart/index.html
See items in the store.

Check some of the other museum sites:
http://www.jantjeblokhuismulder.com/museums.shtml

Books you may be able to get to use at your library if you has a loan
program:
http://www.library.appstate.edu/appcoll/research_aids/contemporary_folk_painting.htm
http://www.schifferbooks.com/antiques/folkart/

Some contemporary folk art:
http://www.ashevilleart.net/main.htm

Look up Berea College - Berea, Kentucky
http://www.cincinnati.com/visitorsguide/stories/071301_berea.html
Berea College, with its focus on educating Appalachian people and carrying
on Appalachian folk art, is a vital nerve in the arts community. As unusual
as its rich past, the college has 1,500 students who pay for their education
by working at the school. About 150 work in the student craft industry,
carrying on the Appalachian traditions of pottery, woodworking, broom craft,
blacksmithing and weaving. The student wares are sold at the Log House Craft
Gallery

Definitely tie in Appalachian Folk Music too!
http://musicmoz.org/Styles/Country/Traditional/Old-Time/Appalachian_Folk/
I have no idea what is on these links - haven't checked any of them.
--------------------------------------

If you have done any lessons, send images my way and a brief
description. No detailed lessons necessary unless you already have it
written up. I am only adding new links pages if I have lessons to go
with them.

I will probably add these links to the paper quilt lesson plan.

Regards,

Judy Decker

--
Incredible Art Department