Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Good article on Copyright

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 07:43:39 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I am browsing through my Altered Books digests I saved and came across
this link I meant to post:
The Art of Business: Do Unto Others
If every instance of copyright infringement were penalized, we'd all
be in court. Here's the scoop on keeping fair and clean in a digital

The article references a book:
Getting Permission: How to License & Clear Copyrighted Materials
Online & Off. by Richard Stim.

I assure you, getting permission is not always an easy thing to do....
You will need to decide what is more valuable to you - Your time or
sticking to the "letter of the law" when it comes to making "derived"
works or "appropriating" images (using photos for inspiration and
making collages). I did an experiment and it took me one month to get
permission to use one image on my site to illustrate this point. You
don't have that kind of time. I stiff have not received permission
from the National Magazine to use one of their images (appropriation -
in a collage assemblage).... but I am not removing my art from my site
either. Decide what is practicle in your classroom - but teach the
rules of the "real world" too. Nearly all sites I contact do allow you
"Fair Use" and do allow you to use the images for inspriration for art
(for student use).

Judy Decker

Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources