Re: [teacherartexchange] Starting a web site?

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2005 - 06:20:05 PDT

Hi Marsha,

I recommend getting good web editing software. If you don't have funds
to purchase Dreamweaver or FrontPage, download NVU:
http://www.nvu.com/

Honestly, I don't recommend FrontPage as it is not compliant with WWW
standards. I have had all sorts of problems with it when I try viewing
my pages in Mozilla or Netscape. Lots of glitches appear. I have
FrontPage because my initial software was free. Once you start with
FrontPage, it is difficult to switch to something like NVU or Netscape
Composer (composer is also free, but I hear they are not including it
with the upgrades). I can edit pages done in Netscape/NVU with
FrontPage - but pages done with FrontPage can't be edited using NVU
(without messing everything up). You can do web pages in Word - but
those are generally larger html files for some reason.

I have all of my pages set up in table (width of 760 to accommodate
our banner). I personally don't like pages that go all across my
screen (I have a large monitor) as they are too hard to read. With my
page set at 760, anyone who is still at 680 has to scroll a bit. I
made a template for my pages, then used that template for all pages.

There are some good "How to get started" sites online. What you want
to do first is develop an outline of all you want to include so you
know what pages to create. One think Front Page does do is
automatically add your navigation (I no longer use that feature as
there are so many pages that I would have way too many listed in the
navigation bar). I just use the side table and some key links at
bottom of most of my pages. My home page works as my site map too
(although I don't have every page listed)

Here are some suggested pages/sections to include:

Student Art Gallery
Lesson Plan Section/Program Goals
Favorite Links
Personal Art

When I had my school site, I linked every student gallery page to the
lesson plan so folks knew my resources used - and the "how tos".

See Harold Olejarz's site:
http://www.wyckoffschools.org/eisenhower/teachers/olejarz/staffdev/default.html

Kelly Marquis' Site:
http://www.angelfire.com/space/teach/index.htm