Re: [teacherartexchange] whole school art project

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 09:18:28 PDT

We did a project one year in our advisement (home room) classes. I
teach middle school. We made a mural out of 3 inch squares of matt
board. Every person in the school made a little self portrait on a
square. We mounted the little squares onto bigger sheets of mounting
board then hung them on one wall - all touching- and called it our wall
of respect (I think that was the name). It was a year we really needed
to build some team spirit and work on respect. We made everyone do it-
teachers, principals, lunch ladies, custodians, kids- We made packets
for each class to use with the matt board squares and some markers and
a couple of packs of colored pencils, and some multicultural skin
colors of pencils. I think we also included a handout teachers could
use about facial proportions and a couple of examples. Aside from
cutting 2000 mattboard squares, it wasn't hard to organize.
Participation was good- and the kids were really good about leaving it
alone and they loved looking at it.
Heather