Re: [teacherartexchange] whole school art project

---------

From: Pam (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 07:16:55 PDT

Catherine:

I suggest that you look into two concepts, participatory public art and community-based art education.

The latest issue of "Art Education" has an article about CBE and has published other articles about CBE during the past year or so.

Participatory public art is when the artist (in this case your art students) presents a question(s) to the community to ponder. Not everyone has to have a hand in the actual art making other than contributing creative ideas. Look at http://bridge.skyline.net/, http://www.derixusa.com/_cochran/, and http://www.thedreaming.info/ for three masterworks (two already made and one in the works) that are exemplars of community-based learning/education and participatory public art.

Two of my art ed students are creating units of study about these topics and I will be presenting a three-day workshop this summer about them. If this interests you, when the units of study are posted online I will let you know.

Pam