Re:[teacherartexchange] my apologies

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 24 2005 - 09:50:52 PDT

I, too, had major resentments for many years at being deterred from drawing
and painting realistically, and channelled into abstract art. I didn't
understand how deep the gulf was between commercial art and fine art. My
parents did not accept the high school's recommendation for me to take the
occupational track and become a commercial artist. They wanted me to go to
college. So all these years I have struggled to go back to art. Now
instead of teaching art in the public school, which is what I went through
the teaching credential program to do, they have been leading me farther and
farther away from that, first into substitute teaching, which I am at last
pretty good at, and then into outdoor and hallway supervision of the kids,
then they really tried to get me in hot water by having me substitute for a
principal who didn't really want me there.

What does this have to do with art? Absolutely nothing. However, I have
started a series of etchings of the racetrack. Taking my junior college
teacher's admonition to draw as fast as I can, I found out that no matter
how fast I draw, I cannot draw horses while they are moving. However, I get
some interesting looking squiggle marks, gestures, if you will, so I'm just
going to go for that and call it art. Also, I notice that many teachers
take a night class or a summer workshop and that's the only way they can fit
their own art production into their busy schedule. That's the only way they
can find time to make art.

When I was a child, and I was sick in bed with a cold, my mother brought me
pencil and paper on a bed tray. I could draw as much as I wanted at that
time. So my theory is that when we are pushed down by stress or illness,
what mental resources do we have that are coping skills, like drawing, or
reading, or something else? Hopefully we can still communicate even if we
are sick.

I have been getting hit with some bad food and drinks or maybe it is gas,
that has been making me feel like yelling my head off. Maybe that's because
I put a 101st Airbone license plate holder on my car to try to give the
troops some support. Just so that the troops know that I still care about
them.

Jean Womack